Wow. You only need to hold the Altra Olympus in your hand to feel the extreme amount of cushioning in this shoe. This is a zero drop shoe, but it has a 36mm stack height (nearly 1.5″) that is noticable, but not as noticable as you might think. For comparison, the Hoka One One Mafate 3 has a stack height of 33mm… so these two shoes are very similar with the added cushioning and the high volume stack height.
Altra shoes are designed with a very wide toebox. Here’s a view of the Olympus that will show just how wide that toebox is:
One of the fastest trending categories in running shoes at the moment is the “minimal shoe with cushioning” category. The Altra Olympus reflects that growing trend, and as many runners will find that the Olympus gives them both the minimal heel drop they want, and the cushioning that their body requires as their running takes on additional miles.
This shoe will also benefit individuals who use running shoes for walking, since the shoe is ideal for men and women seeking a very cushioned shoe to alleviate hip and lower back pain.
- Ideal Uses: Trail Running, Road Running, Hiking, Fastpacking, Ultramarathons
- Designed to Reduce: Ankle Sprains, Stone Bruising, Overstriding, Knee Pain, Forefoot Pain, Impact, Fatigue
- Platform: Fully-Cushioned Zero Drop™ Platform, Foot-Shaped Toe Box, NRS™ Natural Ride System
- Last: SD5–M
- Weight: 11.0 oz.
- Stack Height: 36 mm
- Sizes: 7, 8–13, 14, 15
- Midsole: Dual Layer EVA with A-Bound™ Top Layer
- Outsole: Trail Specific Sticky Rubber
- Insole: 5 mm Contour Footbed
- Upper: Quick-Dry Trail Mesh